Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Losing my Canadian Words

I just noticed that on my last post I said second grade!
I am losing my Canadian words.
I should have said, "Logan is in grade two."
It is disturbing that I am slowly assimilating.
I try to keep saying things like, KRAFT DINNER
ICING SUGAR, ICHIBAN, CHOCOLATE BAR,
TOQUE, SQUARES, CINNAMON BUN,
SOOTHER, and of course EH, but BINKY,
TREATS,POWDERED SUGAR, CANDY BAR,
BEANIE, RAMEN NOODLES,
MACARONI & CHEESE, and CINNAMON ROLL
accidentally come out. And for all of my American
friends, I still say EH because you have no good
substitute for it. I actually still say words both ways
and am starting to forget which is which!
Oh well, at least I like the weather here.

3 comments:

  1. Em!! you are a natural blogger, im loving every single picture on here! and your bit about Canadian and American slang haha oh so clever. Layla looks like a doll in every one of these, and seeing pics of young Henry just makes me wanna smooch his cheeks! I MISS YOU and your kids and Thoman as well.. naturally anywhoot keep up the excellent blogging and i hope you enjoyed that cinnamon BUN

    Love Your most loving and devoted sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I figured out that dang google account I never use so I can post to your Canadian Words story like I originally intended...
    Canadian Words are silly and weird. This is why: "grade 2" this is like the Europeans with the backwards dates. Today is 1-11-09. Is that January 11 or November 1? SECOND GRADE
    "Kraft Dinner". Do you call Hamburger Helper "Homemade Skillet Dinner"? I think not. Just weird.
    "Icing Sugar" Look at it! It is powered sugar! Its all powdery!
    "Chocolate Bar" Not all candy bars are made of strictly chocolate. Point for Lisa.
    "Toque" No one even knows how to say that.
    "Squares" Are you talking about blocks? Huh?
    "Cinnamon Bun" Well Duh! It is rolled up. Cinnamon ROLL ;)
    "Soother and Binky" I have no idea where either of those words came from. I always heard pacifier...you know "pacify a crying child"
    I think I made my point. Do you feel as rewarded after reading this as I do after writing it?
    LOL
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lis, I'll give you exactly 1/2 a point cause I'm glad you posted, but still think Toque is a good word, Americans can't even agree what to call it!

    ReplyDelete