Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A year ago today

A year ago today Tom and I went to the
ultrasound that changed our lives. When we were told
our little baby has Spina Bifida we were devastated.
No one wants these things to happen.
I'm writing this post today to talk about what I have learned.
I've learned the old adage, "time heals all wounds," is a good one.
When the Doctor told us about Henry she was very negative.
She said the brain didn't form properly,
the skull didn't form properly, the spine didn't form properly,
and that we "had options."
She said it like it would be cruel to keep him!
It was overwhelming to hear,
and see that so many things had gone wrong.
What if we had listened to her?
It isn't easy to face terrifying situations,
when you are terrified!
I don't think people who decide to end their pregnancies
understand what they are giving up.
A year ago today I didn't,
I was crying myself to sleep at 1:00 in
the afternoon feeling like my poor little baby was broken.

A year ago today Tom and I were wishing this hadn't happened.
But we believe that God knows what he is doing.
So we dealt with the news by fasting, praying,
and trying to accept the worst, and hope for the best.
This enabled us to let "Time" do it's thing,
but we still had ups and downs.
One particularily bad day I was worrying about
all the things that could go wrong, and praying for something
happy to focus on. That is the day my ultrasound Tech
asked me if I would be willing to use the 3-d machine because
she needed some practice!
I was speechless when my little guy's face came up on the screen.
It was exactly what I needed. What a blessing!
I was given a glimps of this...
once we held our little one nothing else mattered.
How could it? Look at this adoreable little man!
His body may not be perfect, but he is.
Sometimes God sends you an Angel.
3 months
7months
Henry is doing so well, he truly is a miracle kid
who continues to exceed the Doctors expectations.
A year ago is gone, "TIME" has healed our wounds, and
what was once the reason for our sorrow
is now our joy.

18 comments:

  1. Tears...that is all I have to say, well that and I want to squish him. You are awesome Em what an ordeal and what a happy outcome

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is amazing. You are an amazing example of faith. Henry is perfect...

    P.S Good job at figuring out how to make it first I think your more computer literate then me crap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing to say....just tears. he is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am crying. I love that last picture of you and Henry. You are amazing, such an inspiration and like Jade said an amazing example of faith. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sniff sniff... Awesome post. Can't wait to see you and little Henry tomorrow! PS. You look BEYOND gorgeous in the bottom picture. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing. You are such an awesome example in so many ways, I love the way you handled this whole situation and continue on your happy little journey. Henry is a miracle, love em. It's true you do look great in the last picture with Henry. I can't wait to see you SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  7. totally tearing up here. oh emily, you are so amazing. i have thought about you and your family a lot in the past year. you do such a wonderful job as a mother. i can't wait to meet the little miracle of a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've told you this a hundred times, but I am so glad we are friends...you are such an inspiration!
    This was written beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story. I love how the Lord always knows better than the doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart felt and inspiring words. Henry was meant to be yours and he is a blessing and a miracle. Love all of the pictures, love the last one the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you decided to do this post! Henry is such a cute and happy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the Tank! It is amazing how well he is doing and it is a great sign of your (and Tom's) complete dedication to your kids. I know you and my bro would have never made the decision to terminate, I don't know what I would have done, but where would we be without that boy? Just seeing him rolling over the other day and pushing his chest up off the floor made me so happy! Never have I been so happy to see a baby do baby things. I am so happy that year is gone...and to be reminded how scared we ALL were. We were all with you Emily. (Even far away in SF)
    Luv u sis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I'm crying too. What an incredible blessing he is. These pictures are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comments girls. You made me cry!
    I have the best friends, and I'm lucky lots of them are my family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Emily & family,
    This is Patty, Lisa's vegas sister (we met last christmas at Tim & Carols). Anyways, she had sent me a link to your blog and I just wanted to say how beautiful your family is and we're so happy little Henry is doing so well!! Really enjoyed the blog and pictures too- thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. my eyes are still full of tears and my heart is overflowing with gratitude for the love and courage and especially faith of our dear daughter and her husband. we love you so much and thank you for the words you have written and the pictures you have shown. Henry is a little angel and perhaps he got to talk to his Uncle Paul before he came here to be with us. Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  17. tear...that was so touching...i cant believe its been a year...em that was amazing i loved it the pics are so adorable, love you guyes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Em,
    he is beautiful. you are amazing. your family is so blessed. love lins

    ReplyDelete