Saturday, January 23, 2010

Do you think I like wearing black and white stripes?

As you can see this pic was taken last month,
but I haven't had a chance to
post this until now!

My little darlings all have a "love hate relationship" with each other. I feel like I spend most of my time refereeing (now my title makes sense right?)! Well I was getting really sick of it when my friend Jen told me about something she had read in a Parenting Book. I find that I do this a lot, I don't take the time to do the research myself, but when my friends do I just steal the good ideas:) So here it is ... My favorite parenting trick for my kids! When they come running to me with a he said she said problem I DON'T talk to them, or listen to them. I just seat them as pictured, making sure they can't touch and tell them that the other one is in charge of letting the other one get off of the chair. Sometimes it takes them 5 seconds to apologize and other times it takes them forever, but since they won't let the other one off till they feel validated and apologized to it actually works!!!!!!! I don't have to be the bad guy and they feel like their sibling cares about them. Sometimes, depending on the "crime," I have to impose a "punishment" after chair time. That just comes with being a parent, but I am no longer a referee!

6 comments:

  1. For those of you who want to read this awesome book, it's called "A Mother's Book of Secrets" by Eyre and Pothier. And Emily, I think its great that you do this because I still haven't tried it out yet! I'm glad it's working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad I heard of the idea - too late. glad it is working for you. Crystal has an idea similar to it. ask her..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute em, I'll have to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea! I will to use that on Mike and McKinley ;) He is truly a second child sometimes and she totally tattles on him...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am Tom's cousin Dana. Your family is so cute and your boys sure look like mini-Toms. Just thought that I would let you know that I am reading your blog every now and then.

    ReplyDelete